Friday, September 14, 2012

Claiming the right to be unhappy

My favourite moment in Brave New World is when John talks to Mustapha Mond about civilisation, God and life.
"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."

"In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."

"All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."


Life would be terrible if everything went exactly as planned. If I didn't have a dangerous tendency to throw caution to the wind (and silence that little voice saying "Miss A, you know better"), then I wouldn't have gone through my any of my favourite experiences, which all required a bit of nerve and a fair amount of stupidity.

I might be wicked and selfish and difficult but that's OK. Because when it comes down to it: “I'd rather be myself," he said. "Myself and nasty. Not somebody else, however jolly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment