Saturday, February 7, 2009

Cold cold cold

London is FREEZING. I quite seriously go outside wrapped up like a mad thing. Since I don't exactly have a massive range of clothes to choose from, I'm just wearing everything I own. I look stupid. But aside from the rubbish weather, I love it here. It's wonderful. I keep seeing lovely things that just make me so happy. For starters, when I arrived, there was snow on top of all the buildings! And all the houses are smushed up together like biscuits. There are also these creepy little side streets that make me feel like I'm in the 18th century. It's all just so damn English and absolutely fantastic.

I have to say that I love the public transport here. This Oyster card thing is brilliant. I'm in love with it. I hope the new ticketing system is in place and working when I get home because it blows my mind. Stupid Connex and stupid transport department.

I miss home a lot though (aside from the weather). 2 years in England may have been a tad ambitious. It's not very colourful here. And not many people smile. I hate not having my own place to live in. I think that in this place, having a safe and happy sanctuary is even more important to me. I want to do home-type things. I miss Richmond. I've been day-dreaming about Bridge road. Who would have thought. I badly want a steak from Boheme. They are massive and tasty and are always cooked the way you request. Not like asking for medium and ending up with a slab of charcoal. And I want to go to my market. I want to walk around with a massive shopping list and come home with three punnets of blueberries. I really miss my old life. I think I now understand that it wasn't dull and constricted, it was just gentle. Which is quite nice really.

It's my birthday tomorrow. I'll be 25 years old. Quarter of a century or, as a friend that I hate reminded me (you know who you are xoxo), half-way to 50. What I want most of all is to sit in my old apartment, get some DVDs and order a ridiculous amount of food. Instead I'm going to brave the cold and go to the British Museum. Which is exactly what I'd wish I was doing if I was at home in Richmond. Funny that.

No comments:

Post a Comment