Wednesday, January 21, 2009

There are 7 sleeps to go before I leave this not so dreadful place! But I'm having a bit of trouble packing. I know what I'm meant to take. Hiking boots, awesome go everywhere kind of pants, a top that is supposed to wick sweat, dry quickly and keep me warm, a first aid kit, my shampoo, toothbrush and toothpaste; blah blah blah.

But what about the things that I like? My hair straightener for example. I don't use it often, but when I'm having a bad day it swaggers into my bathroom, plugs in and suddenly all is as it should be. Sleek. It takes up way too much space in my pack and it's kind of heavy, but I'm really not sure if I want to be without it. If I'm going to go on a Spanish death walk then I'd like to look good.

My books are also on the chopping block. I told Chris about them and he laughed and said that the minute I actually walk around with my pack I'll ditch them by the side of the road. But really, who knows when I'll need a complete history of pirates, or everyone's favourite - 'Brave New World'. Or for that matter, the book on Buddhism that keeps telling me that I can stop feeling pain and emotional agony if I was to just follow the advice within. I'm sure that would come in handy when an Iberian wolf decides my legs look tasty (yes, there are wolves in Spain. In fact, check out the legend of the Spanish wolf woman. Much like her, I adore meat, but I wont be devouring any handsome young men on the way.


Alongside my straightener and my books are my many clothes, items of makeup and various other things that I DO NOT NEED. But that I can't stand to be parted from. Who would have thought that the removal from everyday life would start well before Spain.

* After a great deal of thought, I've decided not to take any of these things except for maybe Brave New World and some mascara. My restraint amazes me.

2 comments:

  1. i'm glad you've decided to leave all those things behind! you'd have cursed yourself if you really did bring all that stuff with you!

    if you're going to bring one book, bring one that's paperback so it's lighter in weight. otherwise, i'd definitely be bringing a journal to write in. and i'm sure you're packing a camera. take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I'm dreadful and vain sometimes.
    I'll take heaps of photos. I'll post them on facebook, some here.
    It's the books that really get me. I can't survive without at least one to keep me going...

    ReplyDelete