Friday, January 30, 2009

Animal planet

I've been in Thailand for two days now. Met up with Gill, then promptly met a lovely Canadian fellow called Chris who helped me understand that yes, it is easy to meet randoms when traveling.

Bangkok was dreadful. Not my kind of place at all. I can't even express why, it just didn't work for me. Too busy, and I hate busy fussy places. One nice thing was that I met a dog that looked just like Hairy Maclary. I drew a fairly good picture of Hairy Maclary for Chris, and he looked like he was trying to look impressed. It was a fairly ace moment. Then we saw a gecko and I regaled Gill with a story about a monster gecko that liked to eat people.

Escaped Bangkok for Chiang Mai where life is brilliant. It's relaxed and pretty and there are the most random things around. Today I saw a dog which was dressed up like a monk and was following them around. It ran into a temple, so I couldn't get a picture but I'll try again. We then decided to get a coffee and randomly found some Thai children's books. Quite obviously, in Thai. Gill picked one up, flipped through, then proceeded to tell me the story about two rabbits who were bear hunting. It was almost believable, until one of the rabbits said 'get your fat bear ass out here'.

Tomorrow is the elephant trail. I'm really looking forward to it. I never realised what a nervous and jumpy person I am - everything here startles me, but I'm slowly learning to relax and just take things as they come.

Now I am going to go for a swim in the hostel's rudely shaped pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment