Wednesday, March 2, 2011

No, I'm not blessing you

Someone that I know on facebook posted that people who don't say 'bless you' after another person sneezes are 'jerks'.

I said 'I don't say it because I don't really understand the custom. I mean, I understand the history of the saying, but not why it still exists.'

People got a bit antsy then. Apparently I'm the only person this woman knows who is not pro-'bless you'.

I don't say it because there is no good reason. Why would I acknowledge a sneeze and not a cough?

I like the thought that a sneeze is the soul trying to escape. But if so, why would I try to force it back? It wants to be freeeeee!

A third person posted that the woman should 'hang out with more Christians'. I was sorely tempted to post 'or plague victims', but decided not to fuel the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment