Thursday, January 28, 2010

Edinburgh - 24th July 2009



I am 25 years old and I don’t like the dark. So of course, it seemed like a great idea to do a spooky underground ghost tour. I have now been down in the Edinburgh vaults and I will never be doing a ghost tour ever again. I have never been so scared in my life (aside from the London Jack the Ripper tour. I just don’t learn).
While I was terrified, Gill was looking around in the most nonchalant manner, which was fair enough considering we were simply walking through some rooms with nothing but a bunch of freaked out tourists and a local with a flashlight.
We also took a day tour to Loch Ness so that I could hunt monsters. I didn’t manage to get any photographic evidence (therefore I also didn’t pick up the million Euro prize), but I did take lots of photos of surface ripples that could have been caused by a strong tail (or a boat). The tour guide was pretty great, cracking bad jokes and telling us good stories. Gill and I particularly liked hearing the song Cod Liver Oil & Orange Juice for the first time.
After we got back to Edinburgh we went on the 3D Loch Ness Experience. Please don’t waste your money. It’s the worst tourist attraction in the world. Gill will never stop giving me crap about it, and fair enough too. It’s rated as a four star (out of five) visitor attraction by the Scottish tourism board. It’s the lamest 3D movie in the world.
In contrast Edinburgh Castle was terrific fun. I particularly liked Mons Meg as I do love a good siege cannon. Aside from the cannon, the audio guide was pretty good, and it was worth paying for.
All in all I really enjoyed what little I saw of Scotland. Beautiful country.

No comments:

Post a Comment